I follow @qikipedia on twitter, they are the people behind the TV show QI and daily they share strange and unusual facts they find. I love reading them, some are fascinating, others funny, but all educational to an extent. I thought I’d share a few of my favourite ones I’ve seen recently…
- If you’re unmarried by age 25 in Denmark, you get cinnamon thrown on you for your birthday. (lets hope you don’t get it in your eyes)
- The letters Q, X and W were banned from the Turkish alphabet until 2013. (I’ve yet to discover the reason)
- Men’s beards contain more pathogenic bacteria than dogs fur does. (one to think about !)
- After Montenegro became independent of Yugoslavia, it’s internet domain name changed from .yu to .me (clever and cute)
- The film ‘cloudy with a chance of meatballs’ was released in Israel as ‘It’s raining falafel’ whilst in Poland it was named ‘Meatballs and other weather phenomena’. (mmm Falafel )
- The M’s in M&M’s stands for Mars and Murrie, the surnames of the two men who developed them.
- The 1875 Chamber street fire released a torrent of whisky into the streets of Dublin. No-one died in the fire, but 13 people did die from alcohol poisoning.
As the name suggests it’s quite interesting.